[Sugar-devel] sugar-toolkit-gtk3 installation

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Dec 18 14:51:22 EST 2019

Yes, that's the correct method for installing sugar-toolkit-gtk3 on
Ubuntu 18.04, so perhaps you are not testing correctly; make sure you
use python2, as the Ubuntu team for 18.04 have only packaged for
python2.

e.g.

python2 -c 'import sugar3'

However, if you want to work on Python 3, you will have to upgrade
from Ubuntu 18.04, using a package name python3-sugar3, which is
available in Debian but not yet available in Ubuntu,

Choose either;

1.  install the Debian unstable package python-sugar3 0.116 and the
experimental package python3-sugar3 0.116, or;

2.  remove the package python-sugar3 and use the Native Sugar method,
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/blob/master/docs/development-environment.md#native-sugar
or;

3.  install Sugar Live Build as a virtual machine.

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 10:00:42PM +0530, Ananya Appan wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I would like to know how to install sugar-toolkit-gtk3 for Ubuntu 18.04. I have
> tried sudo apt-get install python-sugar3, but I still get the following error
> on running setup.py.
>
> ImportError: No module named sugar3.activity
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
> Ananya Appan

James Cameron