[Sugar-devel] Regarding Stand at FOSDEM [1-2 February]

Devin Ulibarri devin at ulibarri.website
Thu Dec 5 09:58:58 EST 2019

Hi Vipul,

Thanks for all this.

On Thu, 2019-12-05 at 19:18 +0530, Vipul Gupta wrote:
> Thanks, James, I went through the logs. I concur with the views put
> forward by MrBIOS and Samson. I think conferences help.

They most certainly can.

As a new org, with a new set of responsibilities, what we need is the
following:
1. Strategic Planning
  * Where do we see ourselves in 3, 5, and 10 years
  * Marketing Strategy (which can include conferences, etc.)
  * Business Model (what are our revenue sources and how we get them,
what are the inputs and outputs for our resources--time included)
2. A Budget
  * Given our current situation, what can we afford
  * Based on different assumptions, what might we be able to afford if
we meet our goals.

This is a top-down approach. A bottom-up approach is "I found an
awesome opportunity, let's go for it." I have found, through my
experience, that both are important.

> Regarding funding, that I would leave the SLOB to decide on case by
> case basis. It would really help out if people can suggest other
> conferences as well and move forward in a planned manner.

We should come up with a budget and allocate resources for things like
conferences, which I think we all agree are important. However, I
advocate strongly that it be in the context of a larger plan.

Whoever wants to help us with these tasks, I am all for hearing your
input.

Best,
Devin