[Sugar-devel] Development Team Meeting, 4th September 10PM UTC

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Sep 4 22:40:51 EDT 2018

In absence of meeting robot, here's the discussion log.

[08:00:19] <walterbender> hi
[08:00:56] <Quozl> hi
[08:01:01] --> perrie (~perriefid at has joined #sugar-meeting
[08:01:48] <Quozl> i've been working on updates and activity maintainer-ing portfolio, physics, poll, pippy, and write.  i also looked at usage stats of aslo.
[08:02:27] <walterbender> what do the usage stats reveal?
[08:03:50] <Quozl> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2018-September/055669.html ... request counts and counts by version of sugar.
[08:05:22] <walterbender> interesting
[08:06:13] <Quozl> Yes, especially as the version reported by browse is the version of sugar, not the version of browse.
[08:06:24] <walterbender> what does 11,531,321 activities downloaded represent?
[08:07:04] <Quozl> i don't know, but i imagine bundle downloads since inception.
[08:07:24] <walterbender>  by something other than browse or updater?
[08:07:36] <Quozl> no.  by anything.
[08:07:47] <Quozl> different methods of accounting.
[08:08:16] <walterbender> curious about what else is hitting a.sl.o
[08:08:17] <Quozl> my access log analysis in URL above includes opening the web page, searching, images, bundles, everything, and only in past year.
[08:08:37] <walterbender> oh... that was just the past year...
[08:08:41] <Quozl> from logs, other things that hit aslo are sugar network, builders, and spiders.
[08:08:59] <walterbender> I was wondering where the gap between 2 million and 11 million came from
[08:12:25] <Quozl> ideas for gci tasks.  i've none in particular; apart from activity maintenance tasks.  but i see we have a long history of previous tasks we can grab from.
[08:13:25] --> Ibiam (c5d2351f at gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #sugar-meeting
[08:13:32] <Ibiam> Hi
[08:13:38] <Quozl> Ibiam: hello.
[08:13:51] <Ibiam> Hi Quozl
[08:14:52] <walterbender> Quozl, I am confident we can come up with tasks
[08:14:59] <walterbender> and hopefully mentors
[08:15:12] <Ibiam> Hi walterbender
[08:15:45] -*- walterbender has been focused exclusively on Music Blocks in preparation for the Japan deployment
[08:16:01] <walterbender> so I am not sure I will have as much time as in past years
[08:16:21] <Quozl> 'k.
[08:16:28] <walterbender> We'll discuss +1 -1 at Friday's SLOB meeting
[08:16:38] <Ibiam> Can I be a co-admin this year
[08:18:49] <walterbender> Ibiam, let's see if we even do it...
[08:19:18] <Ibiam> walterbender, okay
[08:19:33] <walterbender> but it is a lot of admin work... which I would love help with :)
[08:19:40] <walterbender> so if you have time
[08:20:17] <Ibiam> walterbender, I have time
[08:20:40] <walterbender> OK
[08:20:58] <walterbender> Let's talk after the Friday meeting
[08:21:26] <walterbender> Quozl, anything else for today?
[08:21:29] <Ibiam> Sure
[08:21:39] <Quozl> walterbender: no, nothing else.  i'm fine to finish.
[08:22:06] <walterbender> OK. Maybe next week we can get the ALSO3 team to discuss their progress
[08:22:17] <Ibiam> perrie has somethings to say
[08:22:28] <Ibiam> As regards designs tasks for gci
[08:22:33] <Ibiam> If we decide to do it
[08:22:49] <walterbender> yes...
[08:23:16] -*- walterbender has been thinking we might want to look into pie menus as an alternative to the toolbar in Sugar
[08:23:27] <walterbender> or at least add it as a toolbar option
[08:23:35] -*- walterbender really likes pie menus
[08:25:02] <walterbender> and we had an on-going discussion about rethinking icons from last year's GCI
[08:25:13] <walterbender> would be worth picking up that thread again
[08:25:49] <Ibiam> icons as per standard or design
[08:26:16] <Ibiam> Or both
[08:27:45] <walterbender> I don't understand "per standard or design"
[08:28:21] <perrie> Redesigning icons will be cool
[08:28:21] --> Ibiam_ (c5d234a3 at gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #sugar-meeting
[08:29:38] <Ibiam_> Sorry I went offline
[08:29:42] <Ibiam_> Did I miss anything
[08:30:17] <perrie>  Yeah ... what do you mean by “icons per standard or design”
[08:31:22] <Ibiam_> walterbender: you said you had discussions last year about rethinking icons....are we rethinking the designs of the icons as how they look in sugar
[08:31:42] <-- Ibiam (c5d2351f at gateway/web/freenode/ip. has quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[08:33:29] <Ibiam_> Standard, are we still maintaining svg icons?
[08:34:08] <walterbender> We will still use SVG, but we had discussed loosing the two-color restrictions.
[08:34:14] <walterbender> loosening
[08:34:32] <Quozl> And using badges instead for identifying journal object original author.
[08:35:27] <Ibiam_> walterbender: +1
[08:35:40] <Ibiam_> @Quozl: +1
[08:37:33] <Ibiam_> @Quozl, would the badges all be the same since the author of most of the journal object would be the user
[08:37:44] <Ibiam_> Except where it's a shared activity
[08:44:16] <walterbender> Ibiam_, most likely, yes
[08:48:12] <Ibiam_> walterbender, @Quozl: what do we plan to do regards meeting bot
[08:48:25] <Quozl> Journal already has owner badges in a column for objects that came from shared activities.  I think the home view colouring may be the most noticed change; Tony did write in a previous GSoC suggesting that alt-key feature go away.
[08:49:02] <Quozl> Ibiam_: i'm planning to wait for the spam to go away.  if you'd like to reverse engineer the meeting bot and add registration to it, feel free, but i'm not willing to do that myself.
[08:50:26] <Ibiam_> @Quozl: as regards my account on sunjammer
[08:51:00] <Ibiam_> Can a random password be set and sent so I can reset it
[08:51:35] -*- walterbender goes back to debugging Music Blocks
[08:51:40] <Quozl> walterbender: bye.
[08:51:45] <Quozl> Ibiam_: what's the actual problem?
[08:52:12] <Quozl> Ibiam_: you have an SSH key in /home/ibiamchihurumnaya/.ssh/authorized_keys ... do you get a password prompt?
[08:52:31] <Ibiam_> walterbender: bye
[08:53:17] <Ibiam_> @Quozl: it's somewhere else but I added it with ssh-add
[08:54:04] <Ibiam_> The problem is my password has expired and I can't reset it from ldap.sugarlabs.org
[08:54:04] <Quozl> Ibiam_: send me another key to add?
[08:55:53] <Ibiam_> @Quozl: I get a password prompt but I can't reset from there
[08:56:10] <Quozl> Ibiam_: I don't know what is wrong with ldap.sugarlabs.org, sorry.  Please reply to bernie's mail on systems@; the thread went quiet.
[08:56:33] <Ibiam_> @Quozl: I did reply, I don't have a gpg key
[08:56:41] <Quozl> Ibiam_: why not?
[08:58:01] --> Ibiam (c5d235d2 at gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #sugar-meeting
[08:58:16] <Ibiam> @Quozl: haven't gotten around to creating one
[08:58:28] <Ibiam> I'll do that
[08:58:55] <Quozl> Ibiam: so Bernie seems to be offering to set a temporary password (I've no clear idea how), but wants to make sure it is you and not someone else he is talking with.
[08:59:10] <Quozl> Ibiam: a GPG key is good for that kind of problem.
[08:59:56] <Ibiam> @Quozl: I'll create one and send to him
[09:00:38] <Ibiam> Thanks
[09:00:47] <Quozl> Ibiam: only send the public half of the key.  And you can safely send it to the mailing list; that's a benefit of public key crypto.
[09:00:51] <-- Ibiam_ (c5d234a3 at gateway/web/freenode/ip. has quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[09:00:58] <Ibiam> Sure
[09:01:11] <Quozl> Okay, time to end the meeting, we've been at it for over an hour.
[09:01:46] <Ibiam> @Quozl: bye
[09:01:57] <perrie> Bye everyone

James Cameron

More information about the Sugar-devel mailing list