[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Deployment of ASLOv3

Jatin Dhankhar dhankhar.jatin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 23:31:42 EDT 2018

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Jatin Dhankhar <dhankhar.jatin at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 10:45 PM
Subject: Re: Deployment of ASLOv3
To: James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>

Forgot to reply-all, forwarding the original message here.

That's a long of issues.
Thank you James for taking out time and compiling the list.
I don't have a definitive strategy in mind.
How about tackling them one issue at a time, each issue segregated into
categories, with priorities ranging from important to enhancements.
I am not sure about many issues.

1.

> - a transition plan is needed, to explain how to handle the Fedora 18
>   systems running Sugar 0.112 and earlier,

Didn't get this one. Do we need to support older client with a minimal
version of the website ?

2.

> how to list the compatible Sugar versions for an activity release?
>   activities.sugarlabs.org asks for this when uploading an activity,
>   and it works well with the Browse presentation of Sugar version
>   through the user agent string,

Right we are using a simple heuristics to determine min sugar version for
an activity
https://github.com/sugarlabs/aslo-v3/blob/master/aslo/api/release.py#L231
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/aslo-v3/blob/master/aslo/api/release.py#L191>
We currently don't log and use agent strings

3.

>  how to handle activities like Tam Tam, Fortune Hunter, Wikipedia and
>   soon Turtle Art, where the git repository makes more than one
>   activity bundle?

 Not sure about how different bundle works, for now we are using following
https://github.com/sugarlabs/aslo-v3/blob/master/activity-build-docker/Dockerfile#L8
generate .xo for source activity. If bundle is supplied as part of release
we give it preference (since the author attached that and wanted to release
it)

4.

>  how to handle activities like Browse, Measure, Speak, and Record,

  where non-master branches are used to make bundles compatible with
  different systems,

I think we took care of the branch. But different branch (i.e multiple
branches) for different systems are not supported, since it means different
bundles for a single activity. This needs to worked upon.

5.

> many activities are missing; e.g. Record,

Yes, not all activities are included

 6.

> an activity version number is not shown; workaround is to hover over
>   the download link, but this doesn't work in Browse because the link
>   URL is not shown,

Yes, we can add version on the UI as well. Hardest part is to settle on a
definitive and consistent UI.

7.

>  blurred icons; these are embedded PNG instead of SVG, and so when
>   they scale up they blur,

Yes, not many activities have svg icons.

8.

> page title is "Software Center | SugarLabs"; (a) don't think
>   "Software Center" is the right name; was there consensus?  (b) this
>   must be internationalised for more languages than "es" and "hi", and
>   (c) "SugarLabs" should be "Sugar Labs",

What should be the right name ?

9.

> in the detail view, the icons for the headings are too close to the
>   text, e.g. "<spiky circle>Activity" and "<pancake stack>Details",

Yes, that is an easy fix. Adding margin to font-awesome icons.

10.

> at the bottom of the page, the links to "Sugar Labs", "Development",
>   and "Resources" do not work,

Yes, not every link was decided. Easy fix.

11.

> the general layout of the page is unlike the other services at Sugar
>   Labs, as if there is no central theme,

Yes, that is one of the biggest issue, a consistent theme.

 12.

> Browse on Fedora 18 reports several instances of "Cross-origin
>   script load denied by Cross-Origin Resource Sharing policy.", and
>   the page does not finish loading,

Didn't test it on browse. Major browsers didn't complain about this.

13.

> many off-site resources are used; such as
>   https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/mdbootstrap/4.3.2/js/mdb.min.js
>   these must be local so as to avoid multiple DNS queries, to allow
>   port proxied use, and to pipeline requests.

Self hosting is on the list. I thought having a CDN resource will improve
the performance and reduce latency.
How about use both with cdn as fallback.

> For interest, an automated publishing tool for
> activities.sugarlabs.org is available at
> https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-tools/blob/master/activity-publish
>
> This tool decreases the time between "git tag vN" and activity
> available for download to a few seconds, and leverages our existing
> infrastructure.

Didn't knew about publish.
I wanted to integrate aslo-v3 closely with Github, so I followed that
route.

I might be wrong about lots of things. Do let me know.

Thanks,
Jatin Dhankhar