[Sugar-devel] Open Source and Trackers [Was: Announcement of the candicacy of Lionel Laské]

Samson Goddy samsongoddy at sugarlabs.org
Tue Nov 27 16:59:17 EST 2018

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 10:44 PM James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> Re: "Open Source", yes, please to make pull request, thanks.  I'll
> hack into it unless someone else does, but no need to wait.
> https://github.com/sugarlabs/www-sugarlabs/issues/273
>
> Re: trackers, yes, please to make pull request.  I've no idea how to
> fix this, but I did ask that all resources be on our server.  I'm also
> unsure about the Google site verification files; why they are there,
> what they enable, and who is hiding the results.

The Google verification file(s) are on the site for two reasons;

1. Access to Sugar Labs content over Google web (Knowledge Graph)

2. Improving SEO

Who have access to this files?

1. Samson Goddy
2. Dave Crossland

Why do we need this file;
1. To better solve 1 and 2 which seems to be Sugar Labs problem on the web
search. Do we have the right? it depends of what angle the question is
coming from. But Dave and I are working on the marketing team. Is it
removable? yes, I can easily take it off. Would it affect Sugar Labs? maybe.

So why use this tools? why do we have facebook for marketing ? why use
github instead of Gitlab?

The questions is what is our target audience? where are they coming from?
hat do they like? Do we ever what to approach them? Can we do without these
tools?

Do you have better alternative to Facebook? Google Analytics? an better
"open source" way to boost SEO?

All these questions are open to the community.

> (Removed some recipients, stripped rest of discussion).
>
> --
> James Cameron
> http://quozl.netrek.org/

-------