[Sugar-devel] Google Code in (Reviewing process)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Nov 11 22:07:50 EST 2018

G'day Aryan,

Thanks for your feedback.

Let me introduce myself.  I'm paid by One Laptop per Child and we use
Sugar in our laptop products.  At Sugar Labs, my role is Release
Manager, and I focus on Sugar and activities.  I also do system
administration.  I'm not a GCI mentor or administrator, and cannot see
tasks.

Everyone else at Sugar Labs is a volunteer.  Their motivation is to
make Sugar Labs software better.

It is good we have so many mentors, as they can share the load; but as
you point out, review by many mentors can make a task harder.  Each
mentor is different, and will notice different things.

These reviews are not public.  Our mentors and students have a private
space at codein.withgoogle.com in which to work and review.  So I
cannot see what you are talking about.

However, I've looked through the contest rules and resources for you,
to better understand your situation;

1.  when you post a comment on a task or submit it for review, your
mentors will be sent a mail;
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gci/resources/getting-started
... there's no need to prod them into action on IRC or by private
mail, and that could backfire if you do it too much, because it may
look like you are seeking an advantage,

2.  you should get a response within 24 hours, or "occasionally under
36 hours is ok",
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gci/help/responsibilities
... if it takes longer than that, contact the organisation
administrator,

3.  other mentors and developers should work together to "facilitate
acceptance of student work", and this may mean you'll be asked to do
something that either the task did not say explicitly, or another
mentor may not have said; each student should be treated fairly in
this, and if you think you haven't been treated fairly, contact the
organisation administrator or Google.

Hope that helps.  Looking forward to your code contributions!

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/