[Sugar-devel] ASLO shut down target date? (was: licensing question)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu May 24 23:38:45 EDT 2018

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 10:56:10PM -0400, Dave Crossland wrote:

> On 23 May 2018 at 23:29, Walter Bender <[1]walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 11:26 PM Dave Crossland <[2]dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>
>         On Wed, May 23, 2018, 8:54 PM James Cameron <[3]quozl at laptop.org>
>         wrote:
>
>             Tony's insistence on ASLO continues to amuse me.  Most distribution
>             of
>             activities now happens through bundles, tarballs, and GitHub.  ASLO
>             is
>             rarely used by distributors or indeed useful for anything except
>             personal searches for broken activities.  Tony's numbers make it
>             plain.  My own plan is to remove the link to "activities" in Browse
>             default page; plenty of disk space these days to include all
>             working
>             activities in a build.
>
>         Good to hear real world usage of aslo has entered terminal decline.
>         When will it be turned off?
>
>     I am not a fan of the current activity server, but I am a fan of having
>     lots of activities for our users to explore beyond the ones that were
>     chosen for them.
>
> James, when you say "Most distribution of activities now happens through
> bundles, tarballs, and GitHub," could you provide a percentage split guess for
> that? My guess is that its 90% bundles in OLPC images, 5% tarballs from ASLO or
> similar, and 5% Github.

Happy to help, Dave!

My perception is also based on private feedback from deployments, from
people at OLPC, from people using GitHub, and from mailing list posts.

Several instances of a class of bug "canary in coal mine" afflict
ASLO, GitHub, and downstreams such as Fedora and Debian.  Tracking
these bugs also gives me an idea of demand in those channels.

In past two years, my estimates of distribution by channel are;

- 50% in OLPC images, or images prepared by schools using OLPC tools,
  or software updates, using a bundle cache at
  <http://download.laptop.org/activities>,

- 35% in Fedora SoaS images, Sugar Live Build, Debian packages, or
  Ubuntu packages, using GitHub clones, or tarballs from GitHub or
  <https://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/>,

- 10% as bundles downloaded from ASLO using Browse (because of
  reputational damage with bundles rarely working or updated),

- 5% direct from GitHub; by skilled users and developers.

However, I don't have measurements.  I'd like to hear of measurements,
but we don't typically have tracking mechanisms.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/