[Sugar-devel] licensing question

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed May 23 20:11:59 EDT 2018

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 8:03 PM Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:

> The bulk of the Sugar Activities were contributed through the ASLO
> process. This process assumes that the contributor is the copyright-holder.
> The contributor was asked to specify a license. Unfortunately that
> selection is not displayed on ASLO. Therefore, it is likely that the
> license clause in the activities in Github were arbitrarily chosen.

We've been trying to take great care to find evidence of the aiuthor's
intent before adding any missing license information on the github repos.
If it is not obvious, we try to contact the author. We are not choosing
licenses arbitrarily.

> If SugarLabs has not received a letter from a lawyer in 10 years probably
> means that there is no objection or that the copyright holder sees our use
> as fair use.
>
> If gplv3 is ok, it would seem that turtleblocks.js needs to change license
> to gpl3 - something that Walter is fully authorized to do.

TurtleBlocks JS is AGPL. One of the questions I have is in regard to the
best way to include it in the Sugarizer bundle, which assigns Apache to
everything it pulls in.
The other question regards the Python (GPL) activities that were translated
to JS and given an Apache license. (Artwork was copied verbatim in many
cases.) Is this OK? Not sure. In many cases we know the author of the
Python code, but again, it is not clear to me at least the best path
forward. What I think everyone agrees is that we want to sort this out so
that both the code bases can move forward.

> Tony
>

> On Thursday, 24 May, 2018 07:46 AM, Walter Bender wrote:
>
> Thank you!
>
> On Wed, May 23, 2018, 7:03 PM Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 6:41 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We are struggling with a licensing question [1] and were hoping that the
>>> SFC might be able to advise us. Can you please reach out to them in your
>>> role as liaison?
>>>

>> I've emailed Karen Sandler (SFConservancy) asking how/who we should
>> approach -
>>
>> Adam
>>
>> thx
>>>
>>> -walter