[Sugar-devel] Response in Re: you needed Assistance

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri May 18 17:40:49 EDT 2018

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 11:14:45PM +0200, Bastien wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> writes:
>
> > People have often said "we should migrate them all to GitHub", but as
> > far as I can see the only _sensible_ justification is where pull
> > requests are to be merged by multiple developers.
>
> Another justification would be to help *discovery* of repositories by
> potential contributors.

Yes.  On the other hand we have too many already, and no lack of
opportunities for potential contributors.

> While I recognize enforcing a central authority is not good, there is
> still value in encouraging people to use https://github.com/sugarlabs
> which is what the Github button does on the homepage.

Yes, sure, encourage.  But not to mandate.

My practice is to fork newly discovered repositories into
https://github.com/sugarlabs

And then turn off Issues, Projects, Wiki features, only allow Merge
commits.

An example is yet another Sugar Labs related repository by a developer
created outside Sugar Labs;

https://github.com/amanharitsh123/sugarizer-school-box

Forked to Sugar Labs;

https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugarizer-school-box

And appears to contain many similar commits to existing Sugar Labs
repository from last year;

https://github.com/sugarlabs/rpi23-gen-image

GitHub as a confusion creation tool.

--