[Sugar-devel] FAQ on Sugarizer

Lionel Laské lionel.laske at gmail.com
Thu May 17 16:07:51 EDT 2018

> Thanks for the reminder; I've rebased the Sugar Labs clone of your
> Sugarizer repository.

Nice. Thanks.

> > I think it's the right time to build a Sugarizer FAQ.  I'm answering
> > below on questions asked during this meeting but I will be please to
> > add to this future FAQ all questions you're interested to ask. Don't
> > be shy :-)
>
> My remaining question at the end of my mail.
>

> Thanks.  This is the same strategy I use for OLPC OS on Fedora and
> Ubuntu, and for Sugar Live Build.  The results are;
>
> - completeness,
>
> - complementary activities, due to careful selection,
>
> - reduced software defects distributed, due to full testing.
>
> I've done this because the individual activity model only worked
> when there was a feedback path from the end-user to an activity
> maintainer.  Without activity maintainers, I've had to take most of
> that role myself.  Without feedback, fatal bugs have gone undetected
> for months to years at a time.

Good to hear that. Very similar to my work, for sure.

> Another customer liked the idea of a child _not_ being allowed to
> download unauthorised activities, akin to not allowing wireless on
> Sugar, or providing boundary router blocking at a school.  Some of
> the schools I've worked with have such filtering that they may as well
> not be considered as connected to the internet.  ;-)

It's very similar on OLPC France deployments, both for Sugar and for
Sugarizer.
Activities are chosen by teachers and on our Sugar deployments, the
internet access don't allow to download new activities.

> 1.  for Sugar activities that are written in JavaScript/HTML, yours is
> a hostile fork; unilateral, without consultation, and without code
> changes shared between the forks after the split.  We could be adding
> Sugarizer's activities to Sugar, and this would benefit both Sugar and
> Sugarizer; more eyes on code, more users of the activities.  What are
> your plans on this aspect?

Not sure to understand what you call an "hostile fork".
I've copied repo from activities included into Sugarizer but always with
author authorization.
Most of the times (80% of activities included in Sugarizer) the maintainer
decide to not maintain its repo outside Sugarizer after the copy. In that
case, Sugarizer repo become the place where the activity is maintain.
When the maintainer continue to maintain the activity in it's own repo -
for example TurtleJS - I'm trying to send PR regularly to integrate my
change.

> 2.  schools who have chosen to use Linux have no download option for
> Sugarizer; why is that?  Are you expecting those schools to use Sugar
> instead?

Sugarizer could be used from any web browser so it's easy to install on a
School Server and run it from any Linux machine.
It's also possible to install it locally from the repo and run it using
browser and a "file://" call.
I'm not familiar with Linux packaging but if a guy would like to package
Sugarizer as a Linux package, I could help.

Thanks for your feedback.

        Lionel.