[Sugar-devel] Where shall I start contributing?

Tony Anderson tony at olenepal.org
Fri May 11 22:03:41 EDT 2018

I am not 'surprised' by this - I am shocked! There are only 10
activities installed on the Ubuntu Sugar. The rest must be obtained from
ASLO. Ubuntu 18.04 does not support GTK. The net effect is that few of
the activities on ASLO will work in Sugar on Ubuntu.

We have wasted precious technical resources to perform the port and then
failing to deliver the results to our users. Fixing this would seem to
be within the scope of the 'Say no to GTK' project.

The purpose of the spreadsheet is to make our status visible. We need to
operate in the real world. I believe we should clearly distinguish
between ASLO (the activities in activities.sugarlabs.org/activities/ and
ASLO the addon interface. Our problem with ASLO is primarily the poor
state of the activities/ and not the interface (which has its own
problems, of course). The spreadsheet is based on activities/. During my
professional life, it was considered mandatory to collect the facts and
make a plan before implementation. I think you will be pleasantly
surprised when a contributor has a specific task that is clearly needed
and clearly defined.

Even if I had time to maintain activities, I would probably still not
consider that a good use of my time. The update procedure is
inappropriate to the task. Contributing an update to an activity does
not require the procedures appropriate for Sugar itself. A problem with
an activity only affects that activity so the maximum risk for error is
limited. In the original ASLO procedure, the registered contributor
updates the version with each change. Each submitted change was reviewed
- normally by Walter Bender - before being added to ASLO. I shudder to
think the time that would be required to update the version number for
Hello World from 6 to 7.

Tony