[Sugar-devel] First draft of proposal SugarLabs Social - Gsoc'18

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Mar 23 02:43:22 EDT 2018

Thanks for the proposal, Daman.  I've reviewed it carefully.

We have had a Discourse instance Social Help [1] created during a GSoC
2014 project [2], and it was not used much; your proposal does not
mention either (a) this history, (b) how the Discourse instance will
be decommissioned, (c) how the Sugar desktop Social Help feature [3]
will be deprecated [4], or (d) how your project will avoid the same
fate.

Part of the explanation from the Wiki is "A competitive proposal must
include some evidence that the approach taken will result in some use
-- just because we build it doesn't mean they will come." [5].

You might also consider how your project is different to Facebook,
Instagram, or Twitter.  Why can't these wider services be used?

Is the real problem a failure of collective action of Sugar Labs
contributors to concentrate their online social activity on a single
platform?  If so, how will another project help?  See [6] for a view
on collective action problems by Anne Schwenkenbecher, Lecturer in
Philosophy, Murdoch University.