[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Madagascar efforts of OLPC-FR, recently reported in English

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Wed Mar 21 04:13:41 EDT 2018

Thank God, a post about educational use of Sugar! I was very depressed
reading the list of proposed GSOC activities. Many of the projects
relate to Musicblocks, a true educational development but which after
several years of work is still not available to users on ASLO.
Meanwhile, no GSOC project has followed up on Caryl Bigenhos
documentation of the TamTam activities or suggestions on use of the
music keyboard activity.

Not only is there a proposal to continue the effort to move from GTK to
GTK3, not there is mention of GTK4! In addition, there is now effort to
port to Python 3. All of these activities may be necessary to avoid
bitrot, but do not add any educational benefit to the user.

The items mentioned below could be GSOC projects as well as many
others.  A GSOC project could offer specific parts lists and
documentation to support use of the XO microphone per Physics on the XO
(Guzman Trinidad). A GSOC project could update and expand the work of
Sdenka Z. Salas-Pilco, 'The XO Laptop in the classroom.'

So often GSOC projects are undertaken by participants with no experience
with Sugar or the XO. I have attempted to teach programming with Turtle
Blocks (we need to settle on whether the activity is Turtle Blocks or
Turtle Art to help avoid confusion among Sugar users). Sadly, the
learners lost their projects because Turtle Blocks does not save the
project to the Journal.

  The GSOC project does not address the educational opportunity to
involve learners in the process - it is intended for the linguistic
elite. Where better to find linguistic skills in a language than in the
country where it is spoken. There is a tremendous opportunity to involve
English learners in providing translations for an activity to the local
language which gets no traction in the Sugar community.

The Browse activity still lacks developer tools. Fortunately the current
version provides a way to request any url to be downloaded. In teaching
html and css, the user can show his page by the file:// protocol but
there is no easy way to upload a page to the school server so the
learner can share their page with classmates. The WebKit version in
Browse does not support flexbox, an essential capability for responsive
design. This means teaching page layout with tables.

A major educational need is the ability of an XO to broadcast slides to
the other laptops in a classroom. Projectors are very costly -
particularly if they are able to show a bright display in a classroom.
There are at least three activities that attempt to address this
problem. A GSOC project could take this on with help from the new
standard collabwrapper.

We continue to direct new members in the community to tasks such as
bug-fixing rather than toward contributions to the educational project.
There is more to Sugar than compliance to flake or the demands of Debian
testing.

Tony