[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Sugar on Fedora looking forward

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Jul 11 19:43:52 EDT 2018

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 10:26:21PM +0800, Kalpa Welivitigoda wrote:
> Hi all,
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 9:18 PM Chihurumnaya Ibiam
> <ibiamchihurumnaya at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > 1) Clock and Record have been ported to gst1.0
> >
> > 2) There are quite a number of activities that have/are being ported to gtk3 and more will follow.
> >

> I saw some PRs to port activities to gtk3, but not sure whether we
> make a release once the porting is done. If we can make a release
> (where applicable), we can continue to package for Fedora.
>
> btw, https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/s/sugar-* is the list of
> sugar activities we package as of today.

Please list which of these packages you think needs a port to GTK+ 3?

You've probably got good access to the packaging sources, so you can
find them quickly.

Some of them I don't recognise, so there's a possibility that Sugar
Labs isn't maintaining these sources (through contributor attrition or
because the source came from elsewhere), and we may have to grab a
copy of the sources held by Fedora.

Alternatively, you might try to identify the upstream somehow.

> > 4) There's an ongoing port of the sugar gtk3 toolkit to python3 and it'll get to other parts of sugar soon.
> >
> > I'd love to assist, but that'll be once i get Fedora up and running.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Ibiam Chihurumnaya <ibiamchihurumnaya at gmail.com>
> >

> > On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 9:35 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> This is intended to ask questions and seek feedback.
> >>
> >> I've not really had time to deal with Sugar for some time, but it also
> >> doesn't tend to take up a lot of time so it's not been a major
> >> problem, we glue it together when it breaks etc.
> >>
> >> Kalpa has done a good job keeping most of the Activities up to date.
> >>
> >> But there's a number of things that are getting to the point where
> >> they'll need action or they'll break so I'd like to gather details
> >> from the Sugar community what their plans are here to see if it's
> >> worthwhile continuing the Fedora support of Sugar.
> >>
> >> 1) gstreamer 1.0 support in Activies. The 0.10 series is well and
> >> truly dead and unmaintained, but there's a couple of key Activities
> >> that still depend on it. Clock and Record are the two big ones here.
> >> Are there any plans to move them to gst1?
> >>
> >> 2) GTK2 sugar-toolkit, again a number of Activities still haven't
> >> moved to gtk3, any plans?
> >>
> >> 3) eToys, we've not shipped this by default for some time, I plan on
> >> retiring it and any of it's dependencies in Fedora 29. Good riddance
> >> sugar-presence-service!
> >>
> >> 4) This is the big one... python2. With python2 being EOL real soon
> >> now is there any interest in moving to py3, I know there was some work
> >> years ago to do some readiness here with the move to gtk3 but I don't
> >> remember the details. Fedora is actively moving to python3 and has
> >> been for some years, I think for at least 6 releases it's been
> >> possible to run without py2 installed at all. Is this the nail in the
> >> coffin for Sugar?
> >>
> >> Also with my note above about time and the points in between are there
> >> still people interested in Sugar on Fedora? Anyone interested enough
> >> to assist?
> >>
> >> Peter

> Best Regards,
>
> Kalpa Welivitigoda