[Sugar-devel] GSoC 2018 | Sugarizer School Box | Rishabh Nambiar |

Rishabh Nambiar rishabhn at protonmail.com
Thu Feb 22 11:42:34 EST 2018

Greetings to all the lovely folks at Sugar Labs,

I’m Rishabh Nambiar (IRC: rishabhnambiar), a 21 year old CS student from Mumbai, India. I’m interested in the “Sugarizer School Box” project for GSoC '18 as it aligns with my skill-set really well and lets me use the skills I’ve picked up from my internship experiences and my Open Source contributions in the last 3 years. (https://github.com/rish4bhn/).

           This is directed towards the potential mentors for the “Sugarizer School Box” project and anyone from the sugar-devel team. I think I’ve understood the Problem Statement well but I still have a few questions. So I’ve written down what I’ve understood from the Ideas page and please correct me if I have got something wrong.

On booting, The Pi should start a sugarizer-server session that would be accessible to other devices on the network. Other local WiFi clients should be able to use sugarizer on their devices, served from the Pi.

The Pi should also start a browser window with a sugarizer-client running by default so that if a display is connected to it, the Pi can also be used as a client.

        1) To achieve this, I must use a lightweight distro as a base eg. Raspbian (maybe something even lighter) and then add the above features to this base. We could use Raspbian Lite to make it easier for the processor to serve all clients but that would mean not having the Pi as a client.
        2) The Pi could be used in Access Point mode to expose a WiFi and any devices running Sugarizer Apps should be able to collaborate with all other clients on the network as sugarizer-server will be running since boot.

        For the second task to write scripts to deploy sugarizer-server on Heroku/AWS,
One should be able to run the script, and then access their own instance from many non-local clients without doing any setup or CLI operations.

        3) To achieve this, can I use a Python script that sets up the Docker sugarizer-server build on the server? (Guys, the Docker build is flawless!)

        In relation to this, I’d like to say that I have experience with Python, all Linux distributions, Docker, AWS and Ansible. I’ve been using git for over 2 years and I have Open Source experience as I’ve worked with ERPNext (https://erpnext.com/), an open source organization, for a whole summer in 2016.

        4) I also wanted to ask what the next step is. Should I start working on my proposal or will I get some more guidance from the potential mentors?

        Thanks for your time and for reading this really long e-mail, I’m very excited at the prospect of working with Sugar Labs, you guys are doing some really amazing and inspiring work.

Regards,

Rishabh Nambiar