[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Re: [IAEP] Sugar Design Meeting/Reunión 21 September at 11 PM UTC IRC Sugar Meeting [DESIGN]

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 12:08:32 EDT 2017

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Laura Vargas <laura at somosazucar.org>
wrote:

> Walter,
>
> Thanks for your work and consideration for the importance of Language
> translation support on Sugar Labs channels. I hope we get Spanish support
> back in Sugar-Meeting.
>
> All user data I have is equally accessible for everyone and it is the
> results of 4 years of Hexoquinasa and the Sugar Network local node
> <http://network.sugarlabs.org/stats-viewer/> deployment at Perú.

I have no idea how to interpret these statistics. Can you please summarize
what I am looking at? What conclusions you draw and how the data support
those conclusions?
(I read the wiki page [1], which talks about User objects and Contexts
objects, but never explains what these objects are, how they were gathered,
or how one would interpret them.)

> As for the "Design insights", I have learn the best practice is to clearly
> understand the request before making suggestions and/or prototyping a
> solution.
>
> In the example we are setting, the user requesting this feature underlined
> the need is* for very young children to be able to easily install new
> activities.*

Can you please document where this feature request came from and its
context? What ages does this user consider to be "very young children"? How
do the currently available tools make it difficult for them to install new
activities? What exactly is the problem you are proposing to solve?

> I agree an Activity Catalog from the main icon would serve the purpose as
> long as the caretaker/teacher/parent can pre-set preferences for filtering
> / displaying proper Activities for the specific learner's needs.

I don't know what an Activity Catalog is. Nor what you mean by "from the
main icon".  Serve what purpose? You raise yet another issue: filtering
activities. Is this a problem from the field? Can you please describe it in
detail? Can you please analyze the currently available approaches to
filtering, such as tags, categories, and collections in ASLO, preloaded
activity bundles, etc. fall short? Again, what is the problem that you are
trying to address?

regards

-walter

[1]