[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [SLOB] Motion regarding xo-computer icon

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Sat Sep 16 22:18:39 EDT 2017

But I intentionally gave the very simple examples...

While RHEL/CentOS (and many other open source/commercial hybrid projects)
rebrand their free versions because a complete replacement causes obvious
confusion, these projects themselves include many products with trademarked
names.

Should Sugar refuse to include a Python(tm) editor?  Or change programming
languages because we proudly say Sugar is written in Python(tm)?
https://www.python.org/psf/trademarks/

Do we then go to JavaScript(tm) which is a trademark of Oracle(R)?

Or be confused with any number of products (shoes, hand lotion, etc.) which
also have trademarks for the "Python" name?

Trademarks come into play primarily when there is confusion.  And OLPC
allegedly muddied the waters early on by allowing their name and logos to
be used by OLPC France, OLPC SF, etc.

It's not clear at this point if there is confusion between Sugar Labs and
OLPC over the logo, except as part of a historical reference which both
companies have.

If there was clear proof that OLPC was using the XO logo to promote Endless
then there might be something.  If OLPC explicitly asked Sugar to change
the icon, then that would be something to be considered.

OLPC's website, while updated, still promotes Sugar on XO-1.75's and the
"XO Laptop Touch" (by specs, likely a XO-4).

Given we still know people at OLPC, and OLPC people who went to Endless, I
would have expected to hear something by now if they formally wanted to
break ties with Sugar.