[Sugar-devel] ...and today is Software Freedom Day! Celebrate SFD on Saturday 16 September 2017!

Laura Vargas laura at somosazucar.org
Sat Sep 16 08:40:03 EDT 2017

*Happy Software Freedom Day Sugar Labs Community!*

Today we celebrate! Hoy estamos celebrando!

It was on September 19, 2009 on a SFD day at Lima (Perú) that I heard the
Free/Libre call for the first time.

Sebastian's talk was called "Pedagogy of the Oppressed: Software for
Liberation". It was truly inspiring and it resonated deeply with many
attendees. I will always be thankful to Kiko Mayorga (from Escuelab) and
Juan Camilo Lema (from Drupal Perú) who organized that gather at the
Universidad San Martin de Porras to spread the Free/Libre Software call.

Today, after 8 years of hard work there is still a long road to assure
quality in Free/Libre Software. Am very happy to share our experience with
others, so more and more users gain understanding and inspiration to assure
the freedom of the software we all use.

Today we celebrate Freedom of Software at the Amazon forest! Find and event
close to you as well:
https://www.softwarefreedomday.org/map/index.php?year=2017

*About Software Freedom Day *

SFD is a worldwide celebration of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS). *Our
goal in this celebration is to educate the worldwide public about the
benefits of using high quality FOSS in education, in government, at home,
and in business -- in short, everywhere!*
What's Free/Libre Software?

Free/Libre software is software that gives you the user the freedom to
share, study and modify it. We call this free/libre software because the
user is free/libre. To use free/libre software is to make a political and
ethical choice asserting the right to learn, and share what we learn with
others.
Today please take your time to take action! You can encourage your friends,
family and associates to learn more about Software Freedom, and why
software freedom matters, even to non-geeks :) 2017 SFD registration is on!
<http://www.digitalfreedomfoundation.org/index.php/163-2017-sfd-registration-is-on>
http://www.digitalfreedomfoundation.org/index.php/163-2017-sfd-registration-is-on

Regards
--
Laura V.
* I&D SomosAZUCAR.Org*

“Solo la tecnología libre nos hará libres.”
~ L. Victoria

Happy Learning!
#LearningByDoing
#Projects4good