[Sugar-devel] [Marketing] [SLOBS] [SLOB] xo-computer icon

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 09:11:41 EDT 2017

Sure — Sugar Labs restricted the "freedom" of a Windows PC reseller in the
UK to market "Sugar computers". We made the effort to register and defend
our trademark in the interest of the project. I recall having alerted OLPC
when I spotted a potential infringement of their xo trademark — a nearly
identical design used by a European bank. Their counsel decided not to
pursue it, as the registered Nice classes were different. This would have
changed if the bank had marketed software.

A good primer on copyright and trademark issues for free/libre software can
be found here:
https://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2008/foss-primer.html#x1-660005.4.2

Sean.