[Sugar-devel] logo dicussion

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 07:28:05 EDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org
> wrote:

> On 13/09/17 20:22, Martin Abente wrote:
>

>> The proposed feet logo is likely a violation of the GNOME Foundation
>> trademark, more info on their site [3].
>>

> If the feet logo could be a violation of the GNOME trademark, then lets
> revert it, until a proper replacement is found (and if its really needed,
> of course).
>
> https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-artwork/pull/97
>

> How would it be a violation? It is not a derived work. It doesn't even
> look similar. Plus Sugar users have two feet, as most humans do.

By that logic, most humans have a head an torso like the XO logo.

> GNOME foot icon looks like a "G". The Sugar feet logo is my creation* and
> each foot has five toes instead of four.
>
> I have seen that you and Ignacio have reverted my change.
>
> *Have you determined that we have written permission to use this image?*
>
> *Have you determined that our downstream distributor, and users, have
> permission to use this image?*
>
> *Have you determined that our downstream distributors, and users can
> modify this icon in accordance to our Acceptable License Policy?*
>
> *Also, are you aware of the SFC-Sugar Labs Fiscal Sponsorship Agreement,
> which, is a contract that I signed when I was a SLOBs in 2011?*

As you well know, we have asked the SFC to review the situation. You
continuing to act unilaterally is not helping the situation.

> This contract binds Sugar Labs, and, specifically, me, to make sure Sugar
> Labs distributes only Free Software. If the XO logo icon can be used "under
> certain circumstances" then it's not free as in Libre and we - I - would be
> in breach of this contract. Therefore it is my right to request Sugar Labs
> to make sure the above questions are answered affirmatively before I can
> accept to distribute Sugar with this icon or subject our distributors or
> users to risk of being bullied by a copyright owner.
>
> While I agree the way I did it was counter to Sugar Labs standard
> development procedures, we know it could take years for a patch to be
> merged since nobody has the motivation for doing it. I anticipated it would
> be unpopular but I'm sorry, I feel it's necessary. I have brought this
> topic up for years and after this time I feel I have earned the right to
> act the way I feel is in the best interest of Sugar.

No one has the right to act unilaterally on behalf of Sugar Labs. This is a
serious breach of faith with the community.

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs