[Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] [SLOB] xo-computer icon

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 07:11:10 EDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 7:07 AM, Lionel Laské <lionel.laske at gmail.com>
wrote:

> +1
>
> I don't see here a valid reason to change it.
>
> The XO buddy is also the Sugarizer icon (used as icon on Stores). OLPC Inc
> is aware of that. I've discussed with them few months ago and they even
> promote it on their website [1]. So I don't have intention to change it
> into Sugarizer.
> BTW anyone is free to fork the Sugarizer repo, replace the buddy icon by a
> foot, a panda, a smiley, a pile of poo or anything else and freely
> distribute it. I don't have any problem with that.
>
>          Lionel.
>

> [1] http://blog.laptop.org/2017/06/07/sugarizer-bringing-
> olpcs-software-to-any-device/

A further irony in this discussion is that OLPC doesn't actually use the XO
icon as rendered in their trademark. They use a solid rendering of an XO
and when they apply color, they fill in the head and body as separate
colors.

>> As probably most of you are aware, yesterday one of our community members
>> unilaterally changed the xo-computer icon in sugar-artwork. The ensuing
>> discussion about the change is in the github pull request, "Urgent fix
>> logos", [1]
>>
>> The gist of his concern is that OLPC has a trademark on the XO artwork
>> [2] and there was concern that we were infringing and consequently
>> downstream users would also be infringing.
>>
>> As Sean Daly points out, this is not the first time that the topic has
>> come up [3, 4]. "In the past, OLPC was amenable to the use of the xo
>> logo in Sugar, but asked we not use it in marketing materials without a
>> formal co-branding licensing agreement."
>>
>> Personally, I think that OLPC was explicit in making the Sugar artwork
>> available under a GPL licence and that this is hence moot. But I am not
>> qualified to make that assessment. Consequently, I asked Adam Holt, our SFC
>> liaison, to raise the issue with the legal team. Tony asked us to consider
>> the following questions:
>>
>> 1) Why is the XO logo included in the sugar-artwork repo now -- and does
>> the SLOBs want to keep it there?
>> 2) Assuming the SLOBs want to keep the XO logo in sugar-artwork:  what
>> outcome would the SLOBs *prefer* to see happen?  E.g.,
>> - Does Sugar want downstream users to be able to redistribute and modify
>> Sugar's codebase with or without the XO trademark file included in the
>> program?
>> - Does the SLOBs want downstream users to be able to modify and
>> redistribute the XO trademark image itself, or is that less important to
>> Sugar?
>>
>> The answer to the first part of Tony's first question is that the XO logo
>> was part of Sugar from the very beginning -- before Sugar Labs was split
>> from OLPC. We've never changed it.
>>
>> Regarding the second part: does the SLOBs want to keep it there?  is
>> something we  need to discuss. Personally, I think it serves its purpose
>> well -- a childcentric interface and it is "iconic" of Sugar. I see no
>> reason to change it.
>>
>> Regarding Tony's second question, I would want downstream users to have
>> as much freedom as possible: to use or not use the XO icon as they choose.
>> However, I don't see the need to expand beyond the context of Sugar. If
>> someone downstream wants to use the artwork for some other purpose, that is
>> not our issue (although I that the GPL license would be the relevant
>> determinant.)
>>
>> What do others think?
>>
>> Note, I think we should defer the discussion of what we would use as
>> replacement artwork until we resolve the current issue.

> [...]

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org
<http://www.sugarlabs.org>