[Sugar-devel] logo dicussion

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 22:18:07 EDT 2017

There is zero urgency in changing the xo logo, which has been in Sugar
since its inception, with its use encouraged by OLPC. On the contrary,
rushing to a logo which may infringe the GNOME Foundation's trademark could
land Sugar Labs and the SFC in difficulty.

And in any case, any major branding change should at the very least be done
with the Design and Marketing teams, with SLOBs approval. It's true that
the teams have not been active lately (Dave Crossland is in charge of
marketing now), but it's not a reason to bypass stakeholders, and certainly
not a reason to bypass the SLOBs.

I distinctly remember we (Marketing & Design Teams) consulted with OLPC for
our booth roll-up and poster designs [1], and at their suggestion, centered
the globe icon with xo children around it - the early draft designs had a
large xo in the center and we respected OLPC's wish to design marketing
materials to resemble the Sugar interface.

Sean

[1] https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marketing_Team/Booth_Banners