[Sugar-devel] JAMediaVideo image viewer

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Sep 5 03:11:44 EDT 2017

JAMediaVideo activity relies on GTK+ 2 and GStreamer 0.10 API.

ImagePlayer.py class PlayerBin is used to render images like .png and
.jpg, and runs GStreamer playbin2 element.

You must make sure your build has playbin2 element loaded.  You can
test in Terminal by typing;

	gst-inspect-0.10 playbin2

When tested on Ubuntu 16.04 without GStreamer 0.10 playbin2 element,
no image is visible, and no errors are in logs.

You can test playbin2 element in Terminal by typing;

	gst-launch-0.10 playbin2 uri=file://`pwd`/name.png

When tested this way on an XO-4 with Fedora 18, the image is very
briefly (40ms) shown before the player exits.

If above test works on your XO-4 with Fedora 20, then the element is
loaded and ready for use.  You'll need to debug the PlayerBin class by
adding print statements to find out more about what is happening.

There may be a race condition with prepare-xwindow-id message, which
may arrive after the first video frame is drawn.  You might work
around that by either calling load() again or using a different
pipeline design.

On Mon, Sep 04, 2017 at 09:53:03PM -0400, Jammily Ortigoza wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been asked if there might be the chance to fix image viewer for JAMVideo.
> It doesn't work on XO-1.75 and XO-4 (Fedora 20 for ARM, Sugar 0.110). I believe
> it's better to use one of the activities available for image viewing but anyway
> I have to report this in case you think it might be appropriate to fix this in
> JAMVideo.
>
> There's no log on activity logs, I've been trying to load .png and jpg.
>
> Comments are welcome.
>
> Best regards.
>
> --
> Jammily Ortigoza