[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] SoaS Fedora 27 beta fails to launch Sugar session

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 02:20:50 EDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 9:19 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> Everybody is talking not listening.  Listen up.  ;-)
>
> Frederick showed traceback from shell.log which said
> viewhelp_webkit2.py is missing.
>
> viewhelp_webkit2.py is missing from sugar-0.110.0-5.fc27.noarch.rpm
>
> viewhelp_webkit2.py was added by sugar-0.110.0-5.fc27.src.rpm
> sugar-dropWebKitGtk3.patch
>
> main.py and viewhelp.py are properly changed by
> sugar-dropWebKitGtk3.patch but the files added by
> sugar-dropWebKitGtk3.patch are missing.
>
> Thomas likely hit the same problem, but has not confirmed same
> shell.log.
>
> I don't know how to fix Peter's Fedora-packaging of my patch.  As
> upstream release manager my answer is "use 0.112" which Peter says is
> unlikely to happen because of the freeze.  Second best option is to
> fix the packaging.

The problem was that autoreconf needed to be run to pickup the changes
in Makefile.am

> Patch doesn't look like it was in Fedora 26, as I cannot find a file
> sugar-0.110.0-3.fc26.noarch.rpm
>
> The sugar-help package has nothing to do with the problem, but it
> would be nice to have it fixed too.

Someone will need to resubmit the package for review and packaging. If
I see sugar packages being retired/orphaned I pick them up myself but
I do not have the time to go through the review process and get it
re-added to the package set.

Ultimately my free time to do sugar related tasks these days is almost
zero so for those that do have an interest in keeping SoAS and sugar
in general in Fedora are going to need to assist me, and preferably
earlier in the cycle not moments before GA, otherwise it will go away.

Peter