[Sugar-devel] New ASLO Project Definition

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Thu May 18 23:04:13 EDT 2017

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 10:36 PM, Tony Anderson <tony at olenepal.org> wrote:
> Hi, Jatin
>
> I think you are familiar with Pootle. The trick with Django is that the
> display of strings is indirect.
>
> First, the locale is set client-side so ASLO needs to determine the
> applicable locale - presumably from a message header. This information is in
> the request paramater.
>
> Second, views.py needs to retrieve the localized string and send it to the
> template. The template then needs to display text by {{ text }}.
>
> Probably it would be easier to use the po files (the mo files would involve
> a double conversion). A directory of these files
> would need to be available to Django - easy to do either by putting it under
> the static root or in the application directory (I often use fixtures).

I am by no means a Django expert, but I would note that Pootle itself
uses Django and that Pootle localization is hosted in Pootle, which
suggests to me that any such challenges are not insurmountable.  The
Pootle guys are really nice folks and very willing to share their
insight into i18n/L10n in general, in my experience.  They hang out on
a Gitter site https://gitter.im/translate/pootle and I'd be happy to
make introductions to anyone interested.

cjl