[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] (Goals and Mission) with Microsoft in it?

Samuel Cantero scanterog at gmail.com
Wed May 17 11:07:34 EDT 2017

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 1:47 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 09:23:55PM -0400, Samuel Cantero wrote:
> >     Samuel Cantero wrote:
> >     > we're going to try to build a new ASLO in GSoC which must ease
> >     > activities management, for both image builders and developers.
> >
> >     Please also consider Sugar Network, which Sebastian knows about, and
> >     is used heavily, judging by the hit counts on the Sugar Labs servers.
> >
> > Can someone explain the relationship between ASLO and Sugar network?
>
> Nobody has answered your question, so I'll have a go.
>
> A derivative relationship; data flows from ASLO to Sugar Network.
>
> Any changes you make in ASLO that affect how the data is presented may
> have impact on Sugar Network.
>
> Also, don't forget that OLPC laptops and Sugar itself fetches data
> from ASLO, using the Software Update feature.  Look through the source
> for that; in the /sugar/ and /browse-activity/ repositories.

AFAIK not all deployments are using ASLO as main backend for Software
Update. In fact, an static "update URL" with activity information in
semantic microformat seems more reliable. In my case, I will never allow
and trust in last version sent by a developer in ASLO. Updating ~13K XOs
w/o testing the activities first doesn't look reasonable for me. So testing
in your own environment and updating the activity information in the the
activity page (*microformat*) is the way I'll go.

So, at first stage, I propose to add only *microformat* support for ASLOv3.
A person (image builder..) who is building an image must be able to select
a set of activity/version pair and generate the 'update URL' in semantic
microformat. This person must be able to update the content at any time
keeping the same "update URL". This will allow us to use Sugar Software
Update functionality.