[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] (Goals and Mission) with Microsoft in it?

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Wed May 17 02:15:06 EDT 2017

On 17/05/17 00:47, James Cameron wrote:
>> Can someone explain the relationship between ASLO and Sugar network?
> Nobody has answered your question, so I'll have a go.
>
> A derivative relationship; data flows from ASLO to Sugar Network.
>
> Any changes you make in ASLO that affect how the data is presented may
> have impact on Sugar Network.
Sorry, I thought I had answered when I said:

/" At one time there was a ASLO->Sugar Network synchronization script. "

/That is precisely the extent of the current relationship between ASLO
and Sugar Network, nothing more.
There is no communication or dependency between them.

> Developing a new ASLO has been tried before, by Sam Parkinson, and it
> did not get enough traction, and was shut down; we've only just
> finished removed the changes from Sugar.  It was also a git based
> backend.  After that experience, I really don't think we need another
> ASLO.

There is no reason we should not try again.

> Activity release is not a complicated process; we lack maintainers,
> not tools.

I disagree. Tooling is very important. We should not abandon the vision
of learners producing activities and sharing them. That is what Sugar
Labs is about, after all.

I'd choose the datastore/framework with care, to try to accommodate nano
servers as well as large servers, and also that it is well supported.

But, keep it simple and maintainable.

Sebastian