[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [wiki bug] Roadmap Sugar Labs - Ambiguity detected on how to make Decisions

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Tue May 9 22:04:37 EDT 2017

This seems to be Sugar Labs 'Groundhog Day'. This discussion repeats one
of last year.

In January 2016, Lionel Laske raised the issue of defining the future
direction of Sugar Labs. Despite a motion approved in January 2017,
Caryl and Laura started with the premise that the SLOBS needed to start
over with a 'new' mission statement was needed. On top of that Caryl has
advocated a three-step process: mission, goals, and objectives.
Presumably after the months of discussion this will involve, we can get
to considering what is already on our table:

deriving maximum benefit from participation in GSOC, GCI, and outreachy
(esp. recruiting the participants to continue after the event)
establishing Sugar as a viable mainstream alternative for education
in recognition that most of the contributors to Sugar Labs have a day
job, recruit qualified and active developers
articulate a transition path from Sugar to Sugarizer (or better
establish domains of applicability)
moving ASLO (and git.sugarlabs.org) to github/sugarlabs to facilitate
community support for our library of activities
resolve technical difficulties to maintain a common library of Sugar web
activities and Sugarizer activities
documenting a stable and usable methodology to build and publish Sugar
based on git and github
develop automated means to test new Sugar releases as well as new
releases of activities
release Sugar on a version of Fedora which supports webkit2
ensure active and qualified system administration of the Sugar Labs
array of servers and services
re-organize the Sugar website to make clear to users which pages are
current and accurate from the incredible array of wiki pages - many
obsolete.
improve outreach to our users to benefit from nearly a decade of
experience (perhaps a help line and a forum, techniques used by many
distros).
expand localization to provide I18n support (locales) to support Sugar
deployments and to provide our users with the ability to provide their
own localization
establish and document a localization technology for web activities -
both Sugar and Sugarizer.

The consent agenda make sense in that we need to get community
discussion on these topics into the focus of SLOBs and not just for one
hour a month.

Tony