[Sugar-devel] [wiki bug] Roadmap Sugar Labs - Ambiguity detected on how to make Decisions

Laura Vargas laura at somosazucar.org
Tue May 9 00:14:45 EDT 2017

> On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 06:28:00AM -0500, Laura Vargas wrote:
> > > Please instead build trust.
> >
> > Interesting point of view. Still, please elaborate in this
> > suggestion. How to achieve this?
>
> As there is only one board member asking this question, I'm inclined
> to be brief.

Making "decision making process" understandable and friendly should be
relevant not only to current board members but also to everyone in the
community.

;-)  I don't feel I will be heard.

Your opinion is very relevant for our community.

I ask board members to be more intentional.  To decide on their
> own individual behalf to resolve conflicts and build consensus.  To
> communicate more frequently, either privately between individuals,
> privately within the board, or publically.  To track and measure how
> their communication is received.

This suggestion is really interesting.

> To identify conflict and reveal it.
> To try different communication media to resolve conflict.
>
> It isn't easy.
>
> > It's sounds like the chair has the largest role on making procedures
> > work...
>
> That's up to the board.
>
> It may be helpful for the board to select a meeting chairperson.
>
> "But we already have Walter!" is an anticipated response; but it isn't
> obvious from the outside reading of logs or Wiki that everyone thinks
> this, or knows what a chair does.

Maybe, we can start rotating the chair so that every board member can have
the opportunity to have the experience and learn.

> > Thanks for your feedback.
>
> I'm a board member of several organisations.

A few months ago I attended a corporate governance training,
> facilitated by a trainer from the Australian Institute of Company
> Directors.  I've still got the notes, but they are licensed in a way
> that prevents my republishing them verbatim.  There are similar
> organisations in other countries.  It's not cheap, costs to me were of
> the order of $US 500 in fees, travel, and lost time.  I feel it has
> been worth it.

During the meeting we also discussed the possibility to reduce from 7 to 5
the number of seats. Not sure if this is the best way to facilitate the
decision making process but it could help.

Regards and thank you for sharing your experience :D

--
Laura V.
* I&D SomosAZUCAR.Org*

“Solo la tecnología libre nos hará libres.”
~ Laura Victoria

Happy Learning!
#LearningByDoing
#Projects4good