[Sugar-devel] Develop Activity / Pippy JS (was: GSOC Introduction: Project Idea)

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Wed Mar 1 19:52:02 EST 2017

On 01/03/17 06:21, Suvigya Vijay wrote:
> 'Develop Activity
> AKA Pippy JS, Taller del Artesano 2' and would like to contribute to
> it. Any suggestions on how to get started and regarding the idea would
> mean a lot.

Hi Suvigya, Sugar developers,

Recently it's been pointed out that it's currently not possible to
create Sugar (web) activities or contribute to Sugarizer from within a
code editor activity.

This echoes my own thinking and requirement for an IDE for teaching
children programming.

The goal of the project is to replicate the simplicity of Pippy Activity
in a context compatible with Sugarizer.

For a summer project idea we should postpone fancy features such as
collaboration and git support, in favor of prioritizing basic `activity
for making activities` functionality.

Activities built should be able to be deployed in web, xo, android and
desktop environments.

I've created a wiki page for the project at:
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Project/Develop_Activity

I would like to mentor this project. Currently it would be good to have
the community input as well as design and architecture comments.

Do you agree an IDE is missing for this context?

Eventually we could make a prototype and improve from there.

Regards and thank you!

Sebastian