[Sugar-devel] GSOC Introduction: Project Idea

Lionel Laské lionel.laske at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 15:53:05 EST 2017

Hi Suvigya,

Thanks for your interest for our GSoC proposal.
Regarding the Sugarizer Server Dashboard project, here's few informations.

Sugarizer Server Dashboard is for teachers and deployment admin. The idea
is to have a tool for them to control and manage the work of learners.
There is lot of uses cases but here, few of it:
- Today on the XO when child have to give the result of their works (a
drawing, a text, a video, ...) to the teacher, they need to put it on an
USB key and the teacher have to put it on its PC. With the Sugarizer Server
Dashboard the teacher will have access to the Journal to all child and will
be able to launch each entry exactly like it was on the child device
- To analyze usages on a deployment, it's important to know which
activities are used and how they are used. With Sugarizer Server Dashboard,
deployment admin could have detailed statistics on activities usage and
adapt content to the field. On the XO, we have to backup each laptop
individually and run scripts to analyze Sugar usage.
- To supervise a deployment we need to know exactly the memory and storage
on devices and on the server. It's very complex with the XO and
specifically on XO-1 with few memory. With Sugarizer Server Dashboard, we
could retrieve stats on storage usage for all devices and adapt
infrastructure accordingly.

There is an existing API on Sugarizer Server documented here: [1]. But
there is a lack of feature to be sure to retrieve all statistics need.
A Sugarizer Server is exposed on Internet at [2]. It's possible to play
with the existing API directly from it, for example [3] get all activities
installed on the Server. BTW there is no existing code for the Dashboard
itself. A good start could be to propose mockups.

Best regards from France.

             Lionel.

[1] http://sugarizer.org/apidoc/
[2] http://try.sugarizer.org