[Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] [IAEP] MOTION: French visa for Samson Goddy to attend 10-year Anniversary Scratch Conf / 50-year Anniversary of Logo

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Jun 14 05:14:35 EDT 2017

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 07:06:06AM +0200, Tony Anderson wrote:
> It must be a sign of a mature organization that it has so much time
> to devote to this.

It helps them avoid real work, like maintaining activities.  ;-)

> Keep in mind, Samson is going to a Scratch conference. As I
> understand it, Scratch is now based on Flash.

No, Scratch 2.0 is based on ActionScript, which is a dialect of
ECMAScript.

Yes, ActionScript is implemented in Adobe Flash Player, and thus in
Adobe Air, but also in Apache Flex under the Apache License.

Yes, Adobe Flash Player can be used to "play".

But I wouldn't say it was "based on Flash", and I'd expect some of the
contributors to Scratch if they were here to be enthusiastic in their
reply.

Scratch 2.0 is most certainly GPLv2.

https://github.com/LLK/scratch-flash

> The nature of Flash makes 'open source' and 'free software' a bit
> problematic.

Yes, but not impossible to navigate.

--
James Cameron