[Sugar-devel] Interested in contributing to Sugar Labs

Chinmay Singhal chinmaysinghal at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 04:39:56 EST 2017

Hi Developers,

I was trying to set up the environment through my institute proxy but I'm
facing the following error while trying to build docker:

* Building docker

Command failed: npm install -g --prefix
/home/broot/sugar-build/build/out/install

npm http GET https://registry.npmjs.org/mkdirp/0.3.2
npm http GET https://registry.npmjs.org/commander/0.5.2
npm http GET https://registry.npmjs.org/watchr
npm http GET https://registry.npmjs.org/mkdirp/0.3.2
npm http GET https://registry.npmjs.org/commander/0.5.2
npm http GET https://registry.npmjs.org/watchr
npm http GET https://registry.npmjs.org/mkdirp/0.3.2
npm http GET https://registry.npmjs.org/commander/0.5.2
npm http GET https://registry.npmjs.org/watchr
npm ERR! network tunneling socket could not be established,
cause=140616173480064:error:140770FC:SSL
routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol:s23_clnt.c:766:
npm ERR! network
npm ERR! network This is most likely not a problem with npm itself
npm ERR! network and is related to network connectivity.
npm ERR! network In most cases you are behind a proxy or have bad network
settings.
npm ERR! network
npm ERR! network If you are behind a proxy, please make sure that the
npm ERR! network 'proxy' config is set properly.  See: 'npm help config'

npm ERR! System Linux 4.4.0-57-generic
npm ERR! command "node" "/bin/npm" "install" "-g" "--prefix"
"/home/broot/sugar-build/build/out/install"
npm ERR! cwd /home/broot/sugar-build/docker
npm ERR! node -v v0.10.30
npm ERR! npm -v 1.3.6
npm ERR! code ECONNRESET
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Additional logging details can be found in:
npm ERR!     /home/broot/sugar-build/docker/npm-debug.log
npm ERR! not ok code 0

I have updated the proxy settings in the .npmrc file as well using http
instead of https but still I am facing this issue. It would be great if
anyone could help me resolve this issue.
Thanks.

Best regards,
Chinmay Singhal

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 9:44 PM, Yatin Maan <yatinmaan1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Chinmay,
> You can start here https://developer.sugarlabs.org/dev-environment.md.html
>
> Regards,
> Yatin Maan
>
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 7:27 PM, Chinmay Singhal <chinmaysinghal at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi Developers,
>>
>> I am a pre-final year B.Tech student majoring in Chemistry, at IIT
>> Guwahati, India. I am new to open source and I am willing to contribute to
>> Sugar Labs on the lines of GSoC 2017. I am proficient in Python, because of
>> my interest in computational biology and chemistry. It would be great if
>> anyone could help me in setting up the environment and also suggest a
>> starting bug that I may work on.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Chinmay Singhal