[Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] Outreachy

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 13:08:10 EDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 12:47 PM, Lionel Laské <lionel.laske at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm not for the idea
> Basically GSoC and GCI is free for us (it even allow us to gain money),
> Outreachy participation will cost us 6500$.
> If the objective is to expand the developer community, we could use this
> money in a better way.
> If the objective is to improve/develop some parts of the existing code,
> let's wait for GCI et GSoC.

Actually, the objective is to reach a constituency we don't otherwise
reach: women and minority developers. Prior to our involvement with
Outreachy, we had only one female GSoC intern. This year, we had more
qualified applicants than we could handle, all of whom came through
Outreachy.

As far as the cost of these programs, the money is trivial compared to the
time and effort invested by our mentors.

regards.

-walter

>             Lionel.

>> I like the idea... +1
>>
>> Samson
>>
>> On Aug 23, 2017 8:31 PM, "Dave Crossland" <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think supporting Outreachy, even at a small loss, is worthwhile

>>> --
>>> Cheers
>>> Dave

Walter Bender