[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] URGENT action needed

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Aug 11 20:00:27 EDT 2017

I'm not a board member, or a member, but my opinion is that Sugar Labs
should approve the $US 627.05 travel advance for Samson Goddy.

Having said that, I'm going off topic in reply to Laura below;

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 09:08:06AM -0500, Laura Vargas wrote:
> I agree with you it should be clearly defined who in Sugar Labs is
> responsible for Google's collections.

Disagree.  The oversight board is responsible.  Jointly and severally;
which means each board member is responsible, and the board as a whole
is responsible.  As an organisation with no staff, the board is all
there is.

> Resources in Sugar Labs are limited and historically we had lost a
> lot of opportunities because uncollected grant, please research on
> Trip Advisor's case when lack of clear responsibility for collection
> let to an unbelievable lack of collection of US$40.000 for
> internationalization's projects.
>
> Responsibility isn't clear at this point.

Disagree.  The oversight board is responsible.

> About the Financial Manager role, it was created by the Board on
> July's decisions last year, still they never appointed anyone for
> the role.

Agreed.

Regardless of whether a Finance Manager is appointed, the board
remains responsible.  The board can't shift that responsibility by
appointing a Finance Manager.

However, a Finance Manager can greatly help the board, so my
recommendation is that the board appoint one as they had intended.

> In the meanwhile, Adam has continue serving as the representative
> for Sugar Labs with the Software Freedom Conservancy since last
> period. Still, this role doesn't account for any financial
> responsibility according to current [3] Governance.
>
> I'm sorry we still don't have a wiki page that would easily resolve
> any financial question to the community. It is a tendency I'm hoping
> to revert by proposing the Motion 2017-08-10: Sugar Labs Financial
> Manager to have a monthly compensation.

I'll reply to this on the other thread.

--
James Cameron