[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Testing of Activities

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 15:51:11 EDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 3:23 PM, D. Joe <sugarlabs at etrumeus.com> wrote:

> So, is the idea here to add new git tags, for example:
>
>  https://github.com/sugarlabs/write-activity/releases
>
> to keep the tags in line with the value of activity_version as changed,
> for instance, in
> this commit:
>
>  https://github.com/sugarlabs/write-activity/commit/
> b95f2901941c0cff871124e042c76e4340517ebb
>
> for the file activity.info
>
>  https://github.com/sugarlabs/write-activity/blob/master/
> activity/activity.info
>
> ??

In the past, we left it up to individual maintainers to do releases.
Typically the git tag matched the release number. I don't see why we would
not continue with that approach to tagging, even if we come up with a
different model for when to release. Perhaps the Sugar release manager has
some thoughts? Ignacio?

> Just trying to get a handle here on how this is to be tracked and
> maintained, how.
>
> Do we increment activity versions with each commit? I see some activities
> hosted on github have something of a branch structure, but its not clear to
> me if or how one would use this to differentiate between things that match
> the ASLO versions versus those that have diverged from what's on ASLO.

As per above, I don't think we need to tag with each commit. But at some
point, a maintainer would decide there was sufficient reason to issue a new
release.

> I have no great background in release engineering, but it would make sense
> to me to have, eg, 'master' contain only sets of commits that correspond
> with things that have been put on ASLO, and a "development" branch (or
> whatever name) which gets tagged with the next, upcoming version number and
> continues to diverge from ASLO until such time as it gets merged back into
> "master", ASLO gets updated, and the version number in "development"
> incremented.

Using separate branches for development is good practice. Keeping the
master branch === the ALSO version is not something we have been doing in
the past, but it may be a decent approach to maintaining sync.

> Or maybe there should branches, one for each platform? This is the point at
> which a "sugarizer" branch might be able to accomodate activities targeted
> at that platform, but still share, eg, design elements with the desktop
> activity, perhaps?  Would, then, an "ASLO" branch track only what runs on
> XOs?  Or should each model get its own branch so we know what runs on what?
> Would each GNU/Linux distro get its own branch, eg "fedora-27"?

We've tried to stay away from this in the past. Flatpack could help us
here.  In reality, the percentage of activities with arch dependencies is
pretty small.

> [...]
> >     > diff to find differences in the Pot and to eliminate un-needed
> changes
> >     and
> >     > test that new messages are passed through. This could enable prompt
> >     release
> >     > of a new version without waiting for the localization team to
> provide
> >     > translations for dozens of languages.
> >
> >     For a very long time, instructions to developers have been "run the
> >     POT generation and never ever touch anything in the PO directory
> >     again, The L10n team will take care of the rest of it for you.".
> >     Unfortunately over the course of time, with changes in Pootle
> >     versions, migration of our repositories to GitHub and the decay of a
> >     "pootle-helpers" script set originally created by Sayamindu Dasgupta,
> >     the early tight and hands-free integration between Pootle and the
> >     repos has suffered and much of the process has returned to manual
> >     intervention.  The best path back to such a L10n nirvana is an
> >     upcoming release of Pootle (ver 2.8) that brings back repo
> integration
> >     through the implementation of the pootle-fs file system.
> >
> >     At the present time if the messages of an activity are being changed,
> >     we are still dependent upon periodic refreshes of the POT file which
> >     can be accomplished with "setup.py genpot".  I manually upload that
> >     renewed template to Pootle and refresh the existing PO files from the
> >     template and call for completion of any new strings.  With the
> >     gracious help of James Cameron in generating refreshed POT files,
> this
> >     process has been initiated (and substantially completed) for the
> >     entire Fructose collection and I am systematically committing the
> >     refreshed PO files to the GitHub repos.(feel free to examine/monitor
> >     pull request activity by github user leonardcj).
> >
> >     https://github.com/leonardcj?tab=overview&from=2017-01-01&
> to=2017-01-31&
> >     utf8=%E2%9C%93
> >
> >     As for suggesting the reuse of strings common to already translated
> >     activities, this is clearly a "best i18n practice", that should be
> >     encouraged.
> >
> >     I do envision sheparding us back to an enlightened era where
> >     developers largely can expect localizers to take care of things for
> >     them (primarily through a migration to the 2.8 version of pootle when
> >     finally released (or possibly 2.8.1 bug fix version if one follows
> >     traditional Microsoft upgrade best practices).  Ideally, Pootle would
> >     take care of POT regeneration on the backend, as we used to have it
> >     do.
> >
> >     cjl
> >

> > --
> > Walter Bender
> > Sugar Labs
> > http://www.sugarlabs.org

> Joe   On ceding power to tech companies: http://xkcd.com/1118/
> man screen | grep -A2 weird
>   A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage of

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org
<http://www.sugarlabs.org>