[Sugar-devel] The future of Sugar on XO-1s

Sam P. sam at sam.today
Mon May 30 00:02:35 EDT 2016

On 30 May 2016 12:36:37 PM AEST, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>Hi
>
>I want to return to this older thread because of James Cameron's
>comment in
>https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/688#issuecomment-222393275 :
>
>On the assumption that Sugar Labs is dropping support for XO-1, I'll
>close
>this pull request. Thanks for your time!
>

>But I understood from Tony and Adam in this thread that Sugar Labs
>_should_
>keep support for the XO-1 as a goal. Adam said,
>
>In Haiti XO-1s will be dominant across many schools for years and year
>come.  Similar to Tony's description, but these typically will be using
>32GB SD cards -- thankfully these are incredibly affordable. The
>resilience/repairability of the XO-1 laptops is the absolutely
>fascinating
>part.
>

>I think this goal is wise because it ensures that Sugar runs well on
>the
>cheapest computers - like the $10 getchip.com/pages/pocketchip and $5
>https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero - and ensures
>performance is only better on later XO models and 'regular'
>desktops/laptops.

Making sure sugar runs well on slow computers is an important goal.  Android runs fast on everything, and it has tonnes of pretty animations even.  Making sugar fast on every device doesn't limit us at all - let's keep on doing it.

Supporting XO1s is more than just performance though.  XOs don't run normal, up to date versions of fedora.  This means we must keep workarounds and redundant code to support ancient library versions.  This is the biggest issue with maintaining support - XOs aren't "normal" commodity hardware.