[Sugar-devel] Issue tracking on Github?

Devin Ulibarri devin at ulibarri.website
Fri May 27 11:16:22 EDT 2016

On 05/27/2016 09:03 AM, Dave Crossland wrote:

> On 27 May 2016 at 08:59, Devin Ulibarri <devin at ulibarri.website
> <mailto:devin at ulibarri.website>> wrote:
>
>     Notice from the ethics article that one big deal with GitHub is it
>     allows developers to upload code without a license (thus being
>     proprietary by default, even though we can all see the code).
>

> I don't think a default libre license would be wise; for a start, which
> one?

I think the idea is to have options that someone may choose from (like
the way media goblin lists options for copyright licenses when you
upload a file). Each option could (should) have a description of the
license and links to the original license text.

And, yes, MediaGoblin does allow for "all rights reserved" or "custom"
license, so I imagine that GitHub could make some accordances for this.

> Licensing is serious stuff and I think its self-defeating for the movement to make people less conscious of it by offering easy defaults :)

Licensing **really is** serious stuff and that is exactly why people
need to choose their license when they post their work publicly.

Having no license, if someone accidentally downloads and uses the code
without express permission, since the default US copyright law would
have it "All Rights Reserved" it puts the people who have access to the
code at risk of possible litigation (i.e. they could be sued later for
using the code).

Devin