[Sugar-devel] [GSOC] Font Editor Next Steps

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun May 22 00:48:46 EDT 2016

Hi Yash

On 15 May 2016 at 17:53, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> On 28 April 2016 at 23:10, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>
>> - Small (or large) patches/bug fixes. (These do not need to be directly
>> related to the GSoC project.)
>>

> (I haven't seen any of those yet, 0/10)
>

>> - Participating in code reviews for others. (Even someone who isn't
>> familiar with the project can contribute by pointing out potential
>> inefficiencies, bad error handling, etc.)
>>

> (I haven't seen any of those either, 0/10)

I think these are still at 0/10 at the deadline - no worries :)

> - Working with the mentors and other org members on refining their project
>> plan. This might include finalizing deadlines and milestones, adding more
>> detail, figuring out potential issues, etc.
>>

> We took a first pass at this when we decided to go with Sugar Desktop
> instead of Sugarizer, but the milestones are still pretty vague and I can
> easily see the project slipping... 7/10. To max this out, lets take another
> pass at the end of this week or next weekend :)

You took another pass at this -
https://sugarlabs.github.io/edit-fonts-activity/latest-proposal - and I
made some comments -
https://github.com/sugarlabs/edit-fonts-activity/commit/ac6903ed79d9d5bce99d98c6bde63f10fef15a93
- but its not maxed out, and there are some formatting issues, so I think
this is 8/10 by the deadline today. To make it 10/10, please follow up on
my comments and review the rendering on the site (or your locally served
copy)

- Reading (and updating!) documentation they will need to understand to
>> complete their project.
>>

> You've been doing a lot of reading on the resources I posted, but I'm not
> totally sure what you read, and if you found any other resources beyond
> what I listed on the blog to read... 6/10. To totally smash it, I think it
> would be great if you could go over your browser history and make a blog
> post noting which resources you read and giving us a few tips on what was
> most valuable about each one and what you think could be improved about
> them too :)

Your blog post at
https://sugarlabs.github.io/edit-fonts-activity/my-progress-so-far
clarified what you've been reading and its a great list :) So I now rate
this 9/10, and to make it 10/10 I would have liked to have seen more
reflection on which links were the best, which were helpful, and which were
interesting but not that relevant.

>  - Reporting or replicating bugs.
>

> I haven't seen any of those either 0/10. On IRC today we discussed a bug
> with the existing font manager code, so I think it would be great if you
> could write a issue report in
> https://github.com/sugarlabs/edit-fonts-activity/issues and then make a
> pull request to address it this week :)

https://github.com/sugarlabs/edit-fonts-activity/issues/16 is a great bug
report - I love the GIF screencast :D But without a PR, its gotta be a 8/10
- to get to 10/10 I'd like to see a PR starting to address this, and that
would also bump up the "small patch" item above :)

Overall I'm very happy with your progress in the community bonding stage,
and looking forwards to your progress coding this week! Your plan has as
the first goal:

1.0 Activate/Deactivate: Build an interactive grid display for showing all
fonts in the system, a button to activate/deactivate them, and allow the
user to create ‘collections’ within the library (like playlists in a music
player)

And this is indeed the feature with the bug you reported :) Looking
forwards to your next blog post and Pull Request about it! :D

--
Cheers
Dave