[Sugar-devel] Sugar-On-The-Ground features

Jerry Vonau me at jvonau.ca
Tue May 17 10:47:12 EDT 2016

Tony, my hosting service is suddenly on an RBL so my email is not making it
to the list could you reply to the list for my to keep the record in the
archives going please.

> On May 17, 2016 at 9:20 AM Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:
>

> Hi, Jerry
>
> You raise some interesting points. Thanks for confirming that ejabberd
> still requires registration.
>
> How would an xo connect to different servers for backup and for
> ejabberd?

One might be inclined to alter the new values at image creation time, or
from the command prompt.

> What might be useful is that
> the client is automatically registered for ejabberd at connection but
> only registered for backup at one machine.
> Currently this is done by showing the url in the network control panel
> and allowing for it to be erased. Once erased,
> a new registration is possible.

That is a bit of a flaw in that the code assumes 'schoolserver' is the
dns_name, that might not be the case when the 'schoolserver' is not the
gateway for any of the clients and nobody has or can't alter the dns
records for that LAN.

> This could be used (with cleaned up UI)
> so that the xo is registered to one server and connection
> to a different server would not result in backup.

What really is required are different fields for registration, backup, and
collaboration in the UI with adjustments in the code to read/write the
values in the user fields. The default values could be part of the schema
that GTK/sugar uses, which should open up the door for the opportunity at a
better discovery of the registration service.

> My goal is to implement the OLE Nepal technique of automatically
> registering the server at each connection. This could be arranged
> to register for ejabberd but only for backup if the client is not
> registered for a different server. This could still have the user erase
> the
> name in the network control panel to force a new registration for backup.

Might be more universal to have the registration service be advertised from
the 'schoolserver' via avahi on the local LAN and have the clients query
the LAN for the avahi machine name of the registration service being
offered, that will take hardcoding of the dns name right out of the
picture.

Jerry