[Sugar-devel] [GSOC] Font Editor Next Steps

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Mon May 16 21:10:12 EDT 2016

On 16 May 2016 at 16:32, Lionel Laské <lionel.laske at gmail.com> wrote:

>> 2. I want to keep working on learning how to make GTK mockups for sugar,
>> this is going a little slow for me but I'm getting there.
>>

> Does it mean that you choose Python to write the activity ?
> Of course, as you could imagine, I think it's not a good idea.
> JavaScript will allow to the activity to run both on Sugar and on
> Sugarizer.
> So it's a good investment on the future.

I agree.

I have concerns about the performance of sugar-web apps, especially on
XO-1s. My understanding is that one of the main engineering concerns that
OLPC Australia people had with Sugar was the delay in upgrading Browse to
webkit2; from
https://github.com/sugarlabs/browse-activity/issues/30#issuecomment-211269328
I gather this is now completed.

Yash agreed to attempt to write an essential font editor widget (a glyph
table) in both PyGTK3 and JS and then compare the experience, so we can
make a decision based on his actual experience rather than a priori
assumptions :)