[Sugar-devel] [GSOC] Font Editor Next Steps

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun May 15 17:53:07 EDT 2016

Hi Yash

On 28 April 2016 at 23:10, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> - Becoming familiar with the community practices and processes. (This
> often involves a mix of observation and participation.)

I think you've done good on this! You've asked good questions and made some
good project blog posts :) 10/10

> - Active posting on Mailing Lists / IRC / etc

You're good here! You've attended more IRC meetings than me :D 10/10

> - Setting up their development environment.

Great! You blogged about it, and did the full osbuild method :) 10/10

> - Small (or large) patches/bug fixes. (These do not need to be directly
> related to the GSoC project.)

(I haven't seen any of those yet, 0/10)

> - Participating in code reviews for others. (Even someone who isn't
> familiar with the project can contribute by pointing out potential
> inefficiencies, bad error handling, etc.)

(I haven't seen any of those either, 0/10)

> - Working with the mentors and other org members on refining their project
> plan. This might include finalizing deadlines and milestones, adding more
> detail, figuring out potential issues, etc.

We took a first pass at this when we decided to go with Sugar Desktop
instead of Sugarizer, but the milestones are still pretty vague and I can
easily see the project slipping... 7/10. To max this out, lets take another
pass at the end of this week or next weekend :)

> - Reading (and updating!) documentation they will need to understand to
> complete their project.

You've been doing a lot of reading on the resources I posted, but I'm not
totally sure what you read, and if you found any other resources beyond
what I listed on the blog to read... 6/10. To totally smash it, I think it
would be great if you could go over your browser history and make a blog
post noting which resources you read and giving us a few tips on what was
most valuable about each one and what you think could be improved about
them too :)

> - Reporting or replicating bugs.

I haven't seen any of those either 0/10. On IRC today we discussed a bug
with the existing font manager code, so I think it would be great if you
could write a issue report in
https://github.com/sugarlabs/edit-fonts-activity/issues and then make a
pull request to address it this week :)

--