[Sugar-devel] [GSOC] Font Editor Next Steps

Eli Heuer eliheuer at gmail.com
Sun May 15 12:43:21 EDT 2016

I think a weekly Google Hangouts on Air is a great Idea! Monday works for
me, I'm looking forward to it.

My responses to dave's questions:

> How have you found the experience so far?

Wonderful! I'm new to free-software having primarily worked in the video
game industry previously. Being new, I've had to do lots of work/reading to
ramp up, but I feel like the learning that is happening is invaluable and
I'm looking forward to seeking out other free-software projects to work on
after this.

> What did you like?

I'm very interested in learning more about how font editors are built so I
couldn't be more excited about this project. I'm looking forward to testing
the software and designing some fun fonts with it!

> What do you think can be done differently going forwards?

I'd like it if we had a more concrete idea of what we are building, my hope
is that next week we can work on this (more mocks and critique, so we can
hit the ground running at the end of the bonding period). I'm going to be
very adamant that the UX is fun and easy to use. Also, personally I want to
do a better job sharing thoughts and ideas and asking more questions.

I like the format of dave's three questions, I'll do my best to post these
daily.

1. what we did today
2. what we'll do tomorrow
3. any questions for the team

1. I'm at the wiki gardening meeting going through as much of the wiki as I
can and learning about the culture/people of SugarLabs. I also learning
more about Jekyll and wiki editing workflow.

2. I want to keep working on learning how to make GTK mockups for sugar,
this is going a little slow for me but I'm getting there.

3.  Why will the font editor be fun to use and/or am I wrong to think it
should be fun?!