[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [SLOBS] [SLOB] meeting reminder and some open issues to discuss

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed May 11 19:54:47 EDT 2016

Hi

Basically a "Member" is a "significant and sustained" contributor to Sugar
Labs; Members can run for election to the Oversight Board, vote in the
elections for the Oversight Board, and suggest referenda.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Members

Adam, I think the list is at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Members/List  and was updated
fairly recently, I remember asking about it when I joined a couple months
ago

On 11 May 2016 at 19:31, Justin Overton <justin at polymath.ninja> wrote:

> I'm new around here, and it's been interested to passively follow the
> discussion. Just to clarify... what is a member? I really want to
> contribute to this project, but I don't want to have to pay to work for
> free. :)
>

> ---- On Wed, 11 May 2016 18:21:01 -0500 *Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com
> <dave at lab6.com>>*wrote ----
>

> On 11 May 2016 at 15:35, Laura Vargas <laura at somosazucar.org> wrote:

> On 11 May 2016 at 14:05, Laura Vargas <laura at somosazucar.org> wrote:
>
> there are ~US$65,000 available for planning/distributing among
> activities/teams/projects etc.
>

> I think its essential that this be spent in ways that led directly to
> further income, to grow the project.
>

> I agree that there is a need for income strategies as well. Still, the
> idea of annual budget is to plan the expenses so that the most areas of an
> organization can produce results in what they do.
>
> It would be ideal to count with a somehow stable basic income, and
> therefore it would make sense to promote a motion for Lionel's idea of a
> yearly membership fee. Of course it would have to contemplate the
> exemptions of minors and members who actually don't have resources to pay.
>
> Been more than 80 members, a yearly fee of US$100 with an estimated ~50%
> of exemptions would put in SL general fund ~US$4.000 per year, probably
> enough for basic operations.
>

> I think raising funds from members' dues is a fine idea :)
>
> Cheers
> Dave

Cheers
Dave