[Sugar-devel] The future of Sugar on XO-1s

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Mar 31 23:30:46 EDT 2016

Hi

In the thread '[Sugar-devel] Wanted: Record activity port to GStreamer
0.10' today James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

for the future of Sugar Labs, they should be concentrating on
> later designs than one from 2007 that is no longer available and
> rapidly dying from old age.

I just got a XO-1, so I wonder about this :)

Does anyone know (roughly) how many active XO-1 users there are in the
world today?

And how many Sugar-on-a-regular-desktop-or-laptop (via SOAS or distros)
users there are?

I guess Sugar has been developed to always run on XO-1s up to the present
date - is this true?

What do people think about sunset planning for Sugar on XO-1s?

https://goo.gl/photos/2T4Z3wq3oSuyF9Ns5

(I got my XO-1 from eBay, fully working, no dead pixels - will run a
battery life test on it tonight :) The previous owner had installed 0.82.1
(released 2008-09-30) so I'll try upgrading it to the latest Fedora XO
distro and Sugar 0.108.0 (the last stable release from last month) over
this weekend.)

Cheers
Dave