[Sugar-devel] Updating activities (and Sugar)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Mar 27 17:00:46 EDT 2016

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 04:34:08PM -0400, Chris Leonard wrote:
> So, back in the day, there were two PO files in a grouping on Pootle I
> had named "OLPC Software".  They were things related to Sugar, but
> were more-or-less unique to running it on XO laptops:
>
> 1)
>
> olpc_switch_desktop.pot contains the strings for switching between
> Sugar and Gnome on an XO.
>
> This corresponds to this package in the 13.2.7 build:
> olpc-switch-desktop-0.9.2-1.olpc.noarch
>
> olpc-switch-desktop repo is at:
> http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/olpc-switch-desktop/
>
> I recovered the strings we had from the old Pootle backups and loaded
> them on the current Pootle server, adding additional languages we may
> want.
>
> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/OLPC_switch_desktop/
>
> We'll eventually recover our Pootle-repo connections, and I will work
> with Quozl to make sure it works (in due time); but at least for now
> we are collecting strings again against the next release (technically
> the next packaging, I guess).  New XO deployments (or re-deployments)
> will want these strings in their own language.
>
> 2)
>
> There is one other PO file called sugar-update-control.pot, that I am
> trying to figure out and I wanted your help.  As I recall, this was
> the strings for updating activities and also Sugar (see attached POT
> file for the strings).  I honestly don't know if we are still using
> them anymore or if updating happens in some other way.  I can't seem
> to find the repo (or package listed in the 13.2.7 build) for a
> certainty.
>
> I find these packages on Fedora:
>
> >From 0,20 - 0,23
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/repo/pkgs/sugar-update-control/
>
> and there is this package in the 13.2.7 build (see attached package
> inventory, from an XO-4 example):
>
> olpc-update-2.29-1.fc18.noarch
> http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/olpc-update/

olpc-update is an operating system updater, similar to ostree.

Since the activities on an XO are in the /home directory, they are not
affected by an olpc-update.

> but it does not seem to have any strings (no po folder) in the repo.
> I have recovered the old PO files for the sugar-update-control
> package, but I wanted some questions answered before I post them on
> Pootle again.
>

> So here are my questions:
>
> 1) Does a Sugar user on an XO need the sugar-update-control package
> to update?

No.  Sugar has an updater built-in.  sugar:src/jarabe/model/update

The built-in updater updates _only_ activities, not Sugar itself, and
has several backends.

On the XO we use the microformat backend, with the URL pointing at the
OLPC Wiki.  e.g. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/13.2.7

We set the URL in
http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/olpc-os-builder/tree/modules/sugar_activity_group/kspost.60.activities.py?h=v7.0

> 2) Does a Sugar user not on an XO need this?

No.  Sugar not on an XO uses either native packaging of activities,
or the built-in updater.  For my builds, the built-in updater is
pointing at an empty file on our servers, just in case we need it.

Martin did work on a native packaging updater backend, but that isn't
merged yet.

> 3) If needed on an XO, why is it not in the 13.2.7 build, i.e. does it
> serve a function distinct from olpc-update-2.29-1.fc18.noarch? Am I
> missing something here?
>
> 4) Where is the repo for sugar-update-control?

No idea.  But I don't need it on XO or non-XO.  Can't remember needing
it.

A quick search of previous releases shows it was in 13.2.1 alongside
Sugar 0.98.  With the move to later Sugar, it was no longer a dependency.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/