[Sugar-devel] GSoC'16 Guidance

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Sun Mar 13 10:08:23 EDT 2016

El 13/03/16 a las 08:52, Akshit Kumar escibiĆ³:
> 2. Redesign and Recreate of Sugar Web Appearance

> 2. Redesign and recreate of Sugar Web Appearance - Ported the present
> sugar labs website to a flat minimalistic bootstrap theme - Flatly.
> You can find the code for it here [1].

Hi Sugar Labs, Akshit,

While I commend Akshit for following the GSoC idea, I think it's a
really bad idea to put the website under GSoC. I think this is not the
first time this idea has been put forward, with prototype and all, and
so far there's been no change.

The challenge is editorial / aesthethic / strategic - coding is the easy
bit. I don't think it's a good match for GSoC - Mentors please chip in.

I wrote a couple of ideas that I think are better matches. I might be
able to mentor if we get good proposals and the admin (Walter Bender)
assigns a slot for either.

Regards,
Sebastian

Freedesktop logo.png
<https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Freedesktop_logo.png>
	Make Sugar compliant with Freedesktop standards 	Sebastian
<https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Sebastian>(talk
<https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/index.php?title=User_talk:Sebastian&action=edit&redlink=1>)
13:50, 10 March 2016 (EST)

Brief explanation
    Support Freedesktop.Org Desktop Entry specification for launching
    non-sugar applications, icon standards, etc. Find other ways to make
    Sugar useful as Linux desktop. Make it easy to run Sugar Activities
    in regular Linux desktop.
Expected results
    Improved user experience for users of regular Linux apps, merged to
    Sugar mainline.
Knowledge prerequisite
    Strong background in GTK, Python and GNU/Linux.

Html5 logo.png <https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Html5_logo.png>
	Port Sugar to the Broadwayd HTML5 GTK Backend 	Sebastian
<https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Sebastian>(talk
<https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/index.php?title=User_talk:Sebastian&action=edit&redlink=1>)
14:09, 10 March 2016 (EST)

Brief explanation
    Sugar uses GTK3. Recently GTK3 released support for a HTML5 native
    backend called Broadwayd.
Expected results
    Make it feasible to run Sugar and pure gtk3 activities thru a
    browser (not Sugarizer). Docker container for Sugar on Broadwayd.
Knowledge prerequisite
    Strong background in GTK, Python and GNU/Linux. Docker.