[Sugar-devel] Flash on Browse Activity - Ubuntu

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Mar 1 11:34:26 EST 2016

Quoting Sebastian Silva (2016-03-01 17:21:07)
> On 01/03/16 10:16, Gustavo Duarte wrote:
>> If mostly Browser  are supporting Flash, like Firefox, Chrome and
>> Epiphany, why Browse Activity, not ?
>> Browse is based on Webkit (Chrome and Safari also) and Webkit support
>> Flash.

Google-based browsers originally derived their _rendering_ engine on
Webkit, but you need to check which _plugin_ API is used.

Mozilla-based browsers use NPAPI for their plugins, Google-based
browsers use PPAPI plugins. I don't know which API Webkit-based browsers
use, if any at all.

> This is really not true. Only Chrome supports flash, with an in-house
> proprietary plugin from Google. The rest, all try to use the last know
> - faulty and insecure - unsupported 11.x plugin released several years
> ago. Firefox is in the process of killing the old plugin API too.

Not quite true: Wrappers exist to use the Google (PPAPI) plugin in
Mozilla (NPAPI) browsers: https://github.com/i-rinat/freshplayerplugin

 - Jonas