[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] 'Save As' on Activity close.

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Sat Jun 25 06:32:03 EDT 2016

Hi, Sam

So far this project is working with Python Sugar activities. It is
intended to work identically in sugar and sugar3.

I am completely confused by the PopWindow business. I like the look and
feel of our existing alerts. Naturally, if Sugar
decides to do away with alerts and replace all of them with this
PopWindow, ok. So far I don't see that happening.
One of Sugar's features is a simple and consistent interface for the user.

The goal of 'save as' is to have objects in the Journal identified by a
name supplied by the user. This doesn't apply to the description.
An improvement to the Journal interface would be to move the 'detail'
button to the left side of the screen so that it is more easily
visible and accessible to the user. In this case the description would
be more likely to be seen and provided.

The choice of text on the choices should probably be something like:
save and quit. If the user enters a name in the entry (with an 'enter'),
the
alert should accept that as a save. If the user clicks on quit, the quit
action should be completed. In either case the metadata file is saved as
at present, so discard would be inappropriate. However, a quit without a
user supplied name should not save the document. (If the user doesn't
care to give it a name it can be assumed not to be important enough to
save).

Tony