[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] A Better Idea...

Laura Vargas laura at somosazucar.org
Thu Jun 16 15:24:15 EDT 2016

> On 11 June 2016 at 11:12, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dave - I don't agree that whomever submits a grant application becomes
> the
> > treasurer for those funds.
>
> Fair enough :) I am merely observing what I see as current practice
> with the Trip Advisor grant :)
>
> > What should happen is a sales cycle: if there is
> > interest, the SLOBs should be in the loop so they can assist with
> > face-to-face meetings, followup documents, and Adam/SFC liaison issues.

This is probably the key point to ensure funds actually get to the active
members. It will require 100% transparency of grants documents and SCF
management issues.

> > Document signings involving Walter require prior SFC review. In my view,
> > disbursal of funds from a successful grant should be managed by SFC/SLOBs
> > (perhaps primarily in the role of a Finance Manager or Treasurer), as per
> > Gould or TripAdvisor.
>
> Please could you clarify why Walter (or any other SLOB) would
> specifically need to be signing documents; I understand that that
> Conservancy signs the documents, because legally Conservancy is the
> party to them and neither SLOBs nor Members are agents of Conservancy
> and lack signing authority.

> Conversely, I don't see why SLOBS or Conservancy would be involved in
> the management of a project; they only and merely approve the funding,
> and until a Financial Manager is in place, this is done by regular
> motion.

What is proposed in the new "by funds structure" is to keep a Project
Leader per Project as the Treasurer of that Project's  fund. For general
purpose expenses SL already have the SLOBs who act as Treasurers of the
General Funds fund.

Project Leaders-Treasurers should be encouraged to present time-cycle
required Budgets to the SL Funding/Grants Committee.

Each Project Leader may approve or not an specific grant or grant
percentage to get into his/her Project Fund for N periods of time. By
approving the incoming of funds into the project, the Project Leader shall
agree to make his/her best effort to deliver the grant's desired results on
each time cycle as well as of course to share the results openly.

That said and according to current SLOBs requirements, SLOBs approval will
get a long tale as according to current motions system it requires that (A)
each disbursement motion gets to be seconded by one SLOB + (B) the motion
gets 4 affirmative votes.

--
Laura V.
I&D SomosAZUCAR.Org